Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thirty-Five Years

Today I celebrate thirty-five years of marriage to my wife. I have said on many occasions that it seems like only yesterday that we walked down the aisle to stand before God and pledge our love and faithfulness to each other. At the same time, it seems like I have been married forever. I don’t mean that in a bad way. It’s just that it really is hard for me to remember what my life was like before we were married.

I’m counting on completing my life on earth married to Becky. She has been my soul mate and love of my life and I can’t imagine life without her. Nor, do I want to contemplate it.

When Becky and I were first married I thought I was in love with her. I found out that I had no idea what it was to be in love. Whatever it was I felt when we were first married just can’t compare to what it is I feel now.

As a pastor I often had to counsel young couples planning to get married. One of the things I was particularly concerned about what their relationship with the Lord. You see, no matter how much they thought they loved each other I was firmly convinced that they could not love each other rightly unless they had experienced the love of God through Jesus, the Christ.

That’s why I would press them on their relationship with the Lord. A believer who had experienced the love of God would expect godly love from their spouse. If they married an unbeliever their chances of experiencing that love dropped tremendously.

One of the reasons our marriage has been successful is that Becky and I have both experienced the love of God through Jesus. We both know the depths of love our Father has for us that allowed Him to give His Son for our lives. It’s that kind of love that manifests itself in our marriage. I have no doubt that the love of my life puts my needs before her own. And, my desire is that I always put her needs before mine. I’m not God, so I sometimes fail. But it’s my goal.

So, today I celebrate thirty-five years of marriage to my beautiful wife and thank my Father for sending her into my life. And, I’m thankful He send His Son to die on the cross for me.

John 3:16 (NASB)
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

1 comment:

Davis said...

I too am celebrating your marriage as God has blessed me abundantly through it - most notably with Steven :)