Sunday, November 9, 2008

Home

I'm getting ready for another road trip. In a couple of days I'll leave home to drive about two hundred miles to attend a pastor's conference and an annual meeting of our Baptist state association. As I've gotten older I'm not as big a fan of road trips as I used to be. Now I think more about the effort it takes to pack and the time I'm away from home. By the second day I'm always ready to return home.



Several times in recent years I've had the opportunity of considering a change in ministry. At least two of those opportunities would have involved a lot of road trips. When the last opportunity presented itself I was sure of one thing: I didn't want to pursue it.



There are some things that make some trips more enjoyable than others. One of those is when my wife can travel with me. On this occasion she'll be going with me for my trip. It makes my time away from home much more bearable. The other thing that makes some trips more enjoyable is when I have time to visit with family. This trip, on the way home, my wife and I will have time to visit with our parents, our children, and our grandchildren.



I'll enjoy my time at the pastor's conference and at the state annual meeting. I'm happy my wife will get to go with me. And I'm looking forward to spending time with family. Still, it will be good to get home again. At this point in my life I'm a little like Dorothy in the movie, "The Wizard of Oz." I want to join her in saying, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

No comments: