Sunday, April 5, 2009

Forever

Wow! I just realized how long it has been since I have added a post. During that time a lot has happened. The most notable of those things was the death of my father. It was sudden and unexpected. Dad had asked me to preach at his funeral. While it was a sad occasion for me and my family it was a glorious occasion for my father. Today he is at home with our Lord.

I've been reading and studying in the book of John. Sometime ago I read the first chapter. One of the truths I contemplated is the "foreverness" of our Lord and God. The first verse of John says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 (NASB)

I can't wrap my mind around eternity. It's simply a concept that eludes my grasp. God has always existed and the Son was there with Him all the time. Furthermore, even when I can get a handle on a beginning (I was born on May 30), I still can't grasp the concept of living forever.

My father would have been 80 on April 3 of this year. He missed that day by a little over a month. Every time I go to visit my mother I am acutely aware that Dad is no longer here. The good news is that he is in heaven with the Lord and he is continuing his "foreverness."

Now here is where it really gets interesting for me. No matter how long his "foreverness" is, he will never be as old as our God and our Lord. That's at least a double wow!

No comments: