Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Worthless Shepherds

I've been reading a chapter a day from the book of Zechariah. I just finished chapter eleven. It came at an opportune time. In preparation for 2010 I had been contemplating my ministry. I've been in the same place of service over fifteen years. What will I be doing in 2010?

As I thought about the direction I will be pursuing God reminded me that I need to be sure it is his direction. It's easy to get sidetracked. It's easy to desert God's call on one's life to pursue other goals. When I pick up a book by a well-known pastor and read how God has blessed his ministry and how I can follow his plan for success it's easy to adopt that plan.

When I forsake God's will for someone's plan I know he's not happy with me. When that becomes a pattern for my leadership of his people I suspect that he is angry. That's the word I get from Zechariah. Now, here's the verse.

Zechariah 11:17 (HCSB)
Woe to the worthless shepherd who deserts the flock! May a sword strike his arm and his right eye! May his arm wither away and his right eye go completely blind!


No comments: