Monday, December 22, 2008

Celebrating Christmas

I just finished writing an article on my website about celebrating Christmas. In that article I suggested that the best way to celebrate the birth of our Lord was to share His love with others. I wanted to follow up on it here.

One of the greatest themes of the Bible is God's abiding love for us. Even though we do not deserve His love, He loves us. Celebrating the birth of Christ is best expressed in having a Christ-like love for others.

There are a couple passages of Scripture that bear quoting at this point.

John 13:34-35 (NASB) 34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Luke 6:35 (NASB) "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

I've found that it is not easy to love other believers and it is not easy to love unbelievers. At least, not with the love that God would have. God's love is unconditional. It doesn't require anything of us. It often is beaten, trampled, and rejected. Yet, God continues to love.

My greatest desire is to be able to love like my Father. I want to love unconditionally. When other believers hurt me, I want to be able to love them. When the unbeliever I am most prejudiced against confronts me I want to be able to love them like my Father.

The only way I know to do that is to let Father love them through me. When I allow His love to fill my life I will be able to love as does He. As I celebrate the birth of my Savior I want to do so by allowing my Father's love to fill me so that I can love like Him. I want to share His love with others.

No comments: